Mellow has achieved full mobility. I was going to announce that a couple of weeks ago when she began army crawling every where, but it’s definitely more accurate now – she’s achieved real crawling, and she’s gotten pretty fast.
For a little while, she was experimenting with bear crawling, legs straight, butt up in the air. But she kept getting stuck in that position – I think she concentrated too much weight on her hands and couldn’t pick one up to move it – and then she would just yell until we rescued her.
For the past week, she’s been really really crawling, and she’s getting into everything. This means it’s time to baby-proof again. We used to have covers on all the outlets, but we got cheap ones, and I find them impossible to take out. When it got to the point that I was using a knife or screwdriver to pry off the outlet covers (and thus risking jamming the knife or screwdriver into the outlet, which is exactly what those stupid covers should prevent) I removed them. Wildling was never that interested in the outlets anyway. Mellow is different – she wants to touch them. She gets those little fingers out and reaches for the holes, and I get nervous. I mean, I’m pretty sure her fingers won’t fit, but what happens when she realizes that and decides she wants to be a tool-using monkey and shoves something else in there?
When I was pregnant with Wildling, a friend with grown children asked if I was going to be one of those overprotective moms that child proofs the entire house. She suggested I not do that, because kids need to learn, and if they get hurt a little, that’s ok, they’ll learn faster. Then another friend with adult children commented that when her son was much younger, he shoved a knife into an outlet, and now he’s an electrical engineer. I guess his early experiments benefited him?
For me, though, I’m too paranoid to not cover the outlets. I almost electrocuted myself once as a child, when I was trying to plug something in without paying close attention. I’m still not quite sure how I managed it, but I did see the blue spark that leapt from the wall to my hand and left part of my hand numb for a couple of days. It’s possible it was a faulty outlet, but if it wasn’t, I’m sure it’s a mistake my kids can repeat, and I’d rather they not do it while they’re this young.